Friday, December 22, 2006

I believe the children are our future, unless we stop them now!

Well, the newest Nats fan has entered the world. Little Rockette was born at 2:22 am Friday morning, weighing in at 6 pounds, 2 ounces.

Mrs. Rocket and I are very thrilled. We're excited to teach our little one all sorts of new things, like why "The Plan" is our ticket to the promised land, why Cristian Guzman sucks, and why Screech may be the devil incarnate.

With the addition of the little one, more big changes are underway in our lives, and it seems as good a time as any to reflect on where this blog fits in my life.

When the Nats came to town in 2005, I was excited about the newest addition to the Washington sports scene. I started this blog to help enhance my enjoyment of the new team, which I initially intended to follow as an objective observer. However, I quickly became a fan, which is easy to tell from my early posts in April 2005.

I know we all remember how great (most of) the maiden voyage of the 2005 season was for us. Some of my best memories of that summer were the late nights watching the games on the computer while chatting away with the jockjaws at Yuda.org. I honestly don't know if I would stayed sane the summer before my wedding without the Nationals to keep me occupied. I blogged nearly every day during the height of Nationals fever in 2005, even though the frequency died off as the Nationals went into a tailspin and the wedding drew near.

My blogging dropped off in 2006 due to a confluence of major events. I was newly married, we were expecting a child, and I had started a new job with crazy hours. I often didn't get home from work until 8 pm. Under all those circumstances, it's hard to justify spending a lot of time paying attention to the Nats on a daily basis. And if I'm not significantly immersed in the Nats, it's hard for me to have a lot of value to blog about.

Though there were some encouraging signs at the end of the past season. Once Comcast picked up MASN, Mrs. Rocket had the game on the television almost every night when I got home from work. We went to two games in September, and Mrs. Rocket discovered an appreciation for Ryan Zimmerman, which may or may not have something to do with his boyish good looks.

Put that all together, and I'm still not sure where I am in regards to the future of this blog. I've loved writing, and I still want to be able to do it. But I'm not going to write unless I have something of value to say - which won't happen unless I can pay attention to the Nats on a fairly regular basis.

So, like the indecisive wuss that I can be sometimes, I'm going to leave the fate of this blog somewhat open-ended for now. Chances are probably not great that I'll have enough time to pay attention to the Nats on a level great enough to give me stuff to write about. But I will definitely resume frequent blogging if I can, especially if Nats baseball on TV is how Mrs. Rocket and I choose to relax in between diaper changes and colic.

8 Comments:

Blogger MissChatter said...

Congratulations!!!!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Greg Pultorak said...

Congrats Rocket!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Lurker 152 said...

Congratulations to the whole Rocket Family!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Congrats to both you and the Missus

9:00 PM  
Anonymous DMCj said...

Welcome to the club, Rocket ... it's the hardest job you'll ever love.

Happy Holidays and a blessed New Year to you and all the Rocket family.

P.S. You'll need to embrace the concept of "half birthdays". Trust me :)

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Simon Oliver Lockwood said...

Congratulations! However, buck sez that little Miss Rockette will be pleading for a stuffed Screech no matter how intense your propaganda campaign against him. Another buck sez that you will quickly succumb to her blandishments and buy her at least one.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Farid @ Beltway Boys said...

Good tidings to you and your new addition. I've raised six kids, and they (mostly) are a joy of indescribable bliss.

Most of the time. :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger El Gran Color Naranja said...

Li'l Rocket has her father's eyes. Oh wait, that's Ryan Zimmerman?

I stand by what I said.

Congrats!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home