Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow

Mets 7, Nats 1



This post is almost 24 hours late, which may be a precursor to a season-long lack of timeliness on this blog. But I'm OK with that, and my opinion is the only one that counts around here.

I did go to Opening Day yesterday, and I'm ashamed to admit that I was very bored.

First of all, Opening Day was not a sellout. That's just embarrassing. Tampa Bay freaking sold out their opener. I don't know what to attribute this too, but whatever it was, it's embarrassing. I'm inclined to blame a lack of an owner and the offseason difficulties as the reasons for a lack of excitement.

Plus, the team looked like crap. Ramon Ortiz managed to escape unscathed for three innings, but his inability to miss any bats caught up to him in the fourth inning, and it was all downhill from there.

We can't swing the bat, either. Only three hits yesterday, two singles and Soriano's mammoth homerun. Starting Mets pitcher Brian Bannister only struck out one guy (the pitcher) and he didn't walk anyone either. So perhaps the Nats should have shown a little more patience at the plate. (I wish I'd kept a pitch count on the at bats so I could confirm a lack of patience.)

And I can't believe it took until yesterday to notice that Brandon Watson swings like a woman. Ryan Church isn't your typical leadoff guy, but he can hit a lot better than half the people on the team are hitting right now.

Speaking of Soriano, the crowd I was sitting near was really upset with how he played left field. They felt Lo Duca's fifth inning double should have been caught, and he definitely played Reyes' sixth inning hit into a triple by taking a horrific angle to the ball.

It may have been the groupthink effect, but I was definitely pissed as well. Since the pitching and hitting both stunk equally, I'll choose to be mad at the fielding instead!

What's most unsettling, however, is that this Opening Day did not feel like a celebration of a new season with new hopes for baseball in Washington. And I'm not going to blame that on the fans, nor the players. The blame falls squarely on the Nationals front office and Major League Baseball (which right now happen to be one and the same, thank you very much Mr. National Disgrace). And yes, I'm aware that I said I wasn't sure who to blame earlier in the post, but I guess I just made up my mind between now and then!

It's been said before by people more eloquent than I, but the Washington Nationals are still orphans. They have no owner, and they can't sell out Opening Day. Oh, and when Pedro Martinez goes headhunting in the second game of the season, it's the Nationals who suffer the ejections and the suspensions.

Give us an owner!

Free Ryan Church!

Plunk Pedro!

(Fire Bowden)

4 Comments:

Blogger BAd_LE_SHiY said...

I gotta agree totally. I went to that game. I am a huge nat fan. It was so bored and there were six drunk mets fans. Plus it took forever to get out of the parking lot after the game. I got one question thought. How do u make ur own template?

8:03 AM  
Blogger PalacePool said...

It was embarrasing that the game wasnt sold out. The weather was great, and the boos chasing cheney were priceless. The hapless Nats did nothing to instill confidence that this team would come close to a winning record.

I have heard that they may be naming an owner soon. All the ushers are being fired from DC entertainment, and being rehired by the new firm.


I cant believe that they didnt plunk Pedro last night. Total pansies.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Farid said...

you're very eloquent, and you said as good as, perhaps better than, the rest of us.

Great blog

Farid @ Beltwayboys

9:47 AM  
Blogger Daedalus said...

Opening Day did not feel like a celebration of a new season

You are so right. The game could have been an August game verses the Rockies or some pathetic team like that for all of its "pomp."

I think Vidro is right. Upper management (MLB) doesn't give a sh*t about this team. They sure don't care about the fans, either, as evident from the season ticket fiasco.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home