Tuesday, December 20, 2005

'Twas Three Nights Before Festivus

Time for some airing of grievances, bitches.

Well, they effin pulled the lease vote from today's DC Council agenda. Fan-flipping-tastic! The optimist in me says this is just Mayor Williams buying some time so he can try to pull seven votes out of his hat. And the fact that this opinion is the optimistic one is frightening.

And Bob "Jowls" DuPuy has sent a threatening letter to the DC Government, warning that DC will be in breach of the Baseball Stadium Agreement if a lease is not in place by 12/31/05. Then, he said, MLB can take DC to arbitration to recover damages. I don't know if DuPuy has a leg to stand on, but all this sabre-rattling bullshit from both sides is tiresome.

I won't pretend to know what's going on. Other bloggers have done a much more thorough job of following this crap fest. And even if I did have a clue of what's going on, it would frustrate me to no end. I've taken the attitude of the wise Hoosier, MattNats: "Everyone involved is an asshole, and all I want is a ball team."

Speaking of the airing of grievances, our little Google-bomb made the Baltimore Sun. The writer quotes this site, which is flattering but misleading. I did not come up with teh Google-bomb, nor did I spearhead it. I just used this space to advocate for it. Still, it's nice to get some more publicity for our little prank.

In the end, are we going to lose the team over this craptastic mess with the Council, MLB and the lease? I suppose it could happen, but we're a long way from that. If I understand the agreements involved, MLB doesn't have the right to take away the team before 2008. But I could be wrong.

I don't think we have to worry about losing our ball team. It doesn't change the fact that everyone involved is still an asshole. What we really want is a team on equal footing with the rest of the league. That means we want a team with an owner!

Right now, it doesn't look good for the Nats in 2006. We've already lost two key pitchers to free agency, in part due to a lack of ownership with a budget. (Some would argue we didn't need Loaiza and Carrasco back. But lack of an owner robbed us the chance to even consider it.) We don't have the money to go sign another pitcher, and the lack of stability in DC is scaring away potential free agents.

Everyone involved is an asshole and all I want a ball team with an owner. I'm waiting on a Festivus Miracle.

-------------------

EDIT: 1:25 pm

Another grievance to air:

Bowden's big acquisition still won't play outfield, and now he wants to go back to the American League after 2006.

I nominate JimBo to take on Jose Guillen in the Festivus Feats of Strength, provided that Guillen skips his meds before the fight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

Much as I'd like to see Guillen whale on Trader Jim, if JimBo greased up those leather pants he'd be awfully hard to pin and Festivus would never end.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob DuPuy is a flying monkey. Pass it on.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home