Monday, September 12, 2005

When that first leaf falls...



It was not a good weekend to be a sports fan in my world. My first sports love and my most recent sports love both fell apart in crucial situations, losing some very big games. Luckily for my psyche, I was too busy to witness most of it.

As I've mentioned before, I started forming my sports allegiances when I lived in Michigan as a kid. There's nothing bigger in southeastern Michigan than Wolverine football. And of course, when you love Michigan football, you despise Notre Dame. To this day, I can't stand the Irish. They're so damn insufferable, like they were ordained by God to win football games. It's so freakin' uppity of them. And I say that as a practicing Catholic.

Well, Michigan blew it. Freaking turnovers and an offense that couldn't go anywhere. They were bad. Passing the ball? What in the name of Bo Schembechler is that?! Run the ball, baby!! I don't care how long it's been since I lived in Michigan, losing to Notre Dame stinks big time.

And then there's the Nats, the team I've more recently grown to love. If I had actually seen any of the games this weekend, I might be out on a ledge somewhere. Seriously.

I caught the end of Friday's win only after the Nats had completed the comeback, so I missed any of the emotional highs of that win. I didn't see any of Saturday's win, but it sounds like we were never really in that game. But I can't imagine the pain of watching Sunday's comeback, only to see a blown save in the ninth. I guess I should be really grateful that I've been real busy of late.

Maybe this is all meant to put things in perspective for me. As I'm sure you're all tired of hearing, there's some big stuff coming up for me this fall. And right now, that's certainly where my mind is focused. It was also a tough weekend for America, as we're still digging out from Katrina while remembering the fourth anniversary of 9/11.

Things like these tragedies or a personal milestone like a wedding are certainly more important than sports. But still, once the dust settles, there's nothing like riding along with your team on the emotional rollercoaster of a season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home