Friday, August 05, 2005

A Taste of Glory

Nationals 7, Trolley Dodgers 0



Was this the most well played game of the Nationals' Inaugural Season? Without looking back over the schedule in detail, I'd say there's no doubt.

To celebrate the return of hockey, let's hand out the three stars of the game.

One Star
Cristian Guzman

I've been real happy the way he's improved at the plate over the last few days. Today he got himself two RBIs, going 2-4 including a single with the bases loaded. I think he looks more confident and is definitely more patient at the plate. If he can keep this up over the weekend, I wouldn't be opposed to experimenting with moving him in the lineup to see if it helps his production even more.

Two Stars
Brad Wilkerson.

Our boy Wilk added to his list of Washington Nationals firsts with the bases loaded in the eigth inning when he deposited a 3-2 pitch over the right field fence. The grand slam blew the game wide open and hopefully gave Patterson a little more confidence to go out and finish his masterpiece.

Brilliant

Three Stars
John Patterson

In a dominating performance by one of the league's best pitchers, John Patterson tossed a complete game shutout, allowing only four hits while striking out a career-best 13 batters. After the game, he sounded like a very happy man: "For the first time in my career, I feel comfortable in the clubhouse," he said. "I feel comfortable with the city. I feel comfortable with the fans. I love playing for Frank Robinson. He motivates me in so many ways because I have so much respect for him. . . . I feel like I'm in my element. . . . I love the fans here. I love them. They get behind me, and it pushes me to another level."


After a horrendous month of July, the Nationals started August off right by taking a series for the first time in nearly a month. The rubber match was such a decisive win in uplifting fashion, that hopefully it will serve as a reminder to the team of the glory days of June, a reminder of what they are still capable of accomplishing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home