Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Launching Pad



Do I even have to say it? Another one-run loss; another game which we could have won.

The cavernous RFK turned into a home-run park for the Dodgers last night, who scored all five of their runs on four dingers. I don't know how to explain it, really. Perhaps it was finally humid enough last night for the ball to carry. And the (one of many) frustrating thing is, Esteban didn't pitch all that horribly apart from the three homers he allowed.

I can't believe I actually felt confident early in this game. Loaiza let up a dinger to Kent, but he's a good player, so no big deal. In the third, after Schneider was hit by a pitch, Guzman came up and wonder of wonders, he actually looked pretty good at the plate. He was patient, working the count and getting good swings. He eventually got a single to put two on with no one out.

Even though Loaiza failed to get a bunt down, (the third failure by a Nats pitcher in four games) Wilkerson made up for it by hitting a bomb of a triple to the warning track in left-center. That made the score 2-1 Nats, and I was confident for the first time in a long time. Of course, stupid Vidro and Guillen couldn't get the run home from third.

Trailing 5-2 in the eighth, the Nats mounted another comeback, giving me a glimmer of what proved to be false hope. A sac fly by Vinny and a throwing error by the catcher on Preston's SB helped the Nats cut the lead to 5-4.

But alas, they fell short yet again, losing another one-run game that should have been won. If any of several things are done right, maybe the Nats win this game. Instead they lose the opener of a key series against a decidedly mediocre team.

I can deal with losing. But the Nats should have the decency to go out there and get blown out big time. It would make things a lot less stressful on all of us.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Todd said...

I'm not sure I agree with the last paragraph. I'm definitely happier dealing with the Nats' close losses than dealing with the O's regular slaughterings.

11:22 AM  
Blogger El Gran Color Naranja said...

I'm very close to just wanting the Nats to score 5 runs in consecutive games. I don't care if it's two 15-5 losses, I just want them to show me they can still do it.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Rocket1124 said...

I know what you mean, Todd, and I agree in a sense. But the cynical part of me could deal with blowouts better. That way we could have the excuse, "Oh, they just suck." In reality, the Nats don't suck, at least this bad, they just can't get it done, and it's really frustrating.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home