Thursday, July 28, 2005

Up Your Butt, Jobu



Well, sleep didn't help my mood any. I'm still angry at the Nats, mostly at Guzman. Not only did he drop Schneider's perfect throw in the eighth, allowing the winning run to get to scoring position - but he misplayed a pop-up in the seventh that also led to a run. Not to mention that he can't hit.

I try to give ballplayers the benefit of the doubt. If they've made it to the major leagues, they're obviously a lot better than I could ever dream to be. But this much is clear - Guzman is hurting this team. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery (said the optomistic one) but either way, he's killing the Nationals.

Don't get me wrong, if Guzman goes, the Nats still have a lot of work to do. The team showed flashes of it last night, coming back to tie the game in 8th on some nice hitting by the top of the order. That needs to happen more consistently.

Livan, Patterson and Loaiza have all been consistently pitching very well. Drese and Armas have shown flashes of some decent stuff. It's a damn shame that the rotation is pitching its heart out while the defense and the bats consistently fail them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Scott M. Collins said...

yeah a change of scenery like New Orleans. one can only dream...

9:15 AM  
Blogger El Gran Color Naranja said...

I'm thinking more NYC, LA, or more likely DFA. I hear it's nice there this time of year.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Gray said...

Could Guzman even hit his weight in AAA? I doubt it.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Olivier said...

It's that time of the year:

Jose Guillen : 413PA/30.2 VORP
Cristian Guzman: 309PA/-19.2 VORP

Maicer Izturis: 130PA/8.2 VORP
Juan Rivera: 187PA/-4.1 VORP

Soooo, Guillen by himself was a plus, and I doubt Izturis is that good a hitter, but still...

But I wonder; has Rivera regressed that much? Was last year a (meek) flash in the pan?

Bah. -19.2 VORP, now that's a flash in the pan...

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home