Friday, April 15, 2005

Say what you want about the guy...

...but he knows his baseball.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Photo: AP

From Tom Boswell's column in the Washington Post today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54926-2005Apr14_2.html

[Joey] Eischen was stunned by his presidential moment. Long before the game, Eischen mentioned he'd played in the Rangers' organization when Bush was a managing general partner. "I was a 19-year-old punk kid in A ball," Eischen said. "He didn't want to meet me. I wasn't even on the big club's roster."

By midseason, Eischen was traded as an insignificant minor league throw-in as part of a deal for Oil Can Boyd.

Afterward, Eischen said: "The president came in before the game and shook hands with everybody. I said my name. Later we had pictures taken. He looked at me and said, 'Eischen, right?' I said, 'Yes, sir.' He said, 'Oil Can Boyd. Bad trade.' "